Monday, November 21, 2016

Podcasting

    


      I found a podcast called  Failing a Driving Test at ESL Pod.  I choose this podcast since the topic is very useful for English intermediate learners, especially, for the students who study in America. It is very common to drive in America. So when international students first came to America, they would practice driving and apply for the driving license as soon as possible.
However, when you take the test, the examiner will demand you to do certain driving in English. Therefore, it is very important to learn some terminologies of driving in English. On this dialogue there are a lot of good examples. For instance, the examiner told me to back off because I was tailgating the car in front of me. When I accelerated, I ground my gears and raced the engine. The car jerked so hard that the examiner nearly fell off her seat. I failed to stop at a traffic light and changed lanes in the intersection without signaling. The highlight parts are all the terminologies which are important for test takers to learn. Another thing I like this website's podcast is that this website is aimed to help  learners who regard English as a second language. So there are a lot of instructions on English after the dialogues. They always teach students how to use English phrases, how to choose appropriate words according to context and even some slangs. 

     Therefore, I will keep on using ESL Pod as a useful resource to assist my English teaching. I hope the podcasts I found can be practical and helpful for my students not only on academic but also in daily life. So I will keep on finding podcasts like I mentioned on this blog in my future teaching. I will also ask students to find their favorite podcast by themselves and listen to them as after class activities or holiday assignments.

1 comment:

  1. I liked that you related to the experiences that students have when then come to the US and need to learn to drive. Especially here in Buffalo and many other places, we are a culture that likes to drive so it is different from many European countries and other ones as well and students may need to learn to drive. Good job seeing how you can use it for real life.

    ReplyDelete