Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My language learning goals

     



      I am also a second language learner.  So I remembered when I prepared my TOFEL, the most simple part I could improve is reading. With more intensive practice, mastering more words and exposing myself at English contexts, my listening gradually got improved. Then the most difficult parts are speaking and writing. It really took time and efforts to improve them. Nowadays, my second language learning goals are more focused on writing formal and accurate papers and speaking like a native speaker.
    


     So I create this tiny Ted lesson  based on the video: the benefits of a bilingual brain for intermediate and upper intermediate students. I hope they can train their listening and at the same time enhance comprehension through this Ted lesson. The questions I designed are all based on the video. Therefore, as long as they listen carefully and make notes, they all can get correct answers. The discussion question is aimed to improve their writing based on their own experience and opinions. So there is no standard answer. I hope students can engage in learning and speak out. Another reason I choose this video as a part of my teaching is to encourage students no matter how old they are to learn another language. Since learning Multi-languages is beneficial for their brain's health, concentration on tasks, improving memory, switching between tasks and improving cognitive skills. It is true that it is easy for children to learn a new language but adults can still get it through appropriate instructions. Moreover, this video is very visual by showing the differences between bilingual brain and monolingual brain. I found multi-media instruction is much better than teachers just sit in the front using blackboard to teach.  So I will use more Ted lessons in my future teaching. The extra links I provide are both relevant to the benefits of bilingual brain. There are other benefits which don't be mentioned on the video. There are also a lot of interesting stories, facts and experiments to prove that there are a lot of advantages on learning multi-languages. I hope my students can improve their second language step by step in an interesting and engaging learning environment. Also, they can learn something realistic and relevant to life and career. I can also learn a lot from their participation in discussions. I hope everyone can contribute their opinions and have more interests and motivations on learning a second language. 

1 comment:

  1. Do you think you accomplished your goals based on my responses?

    ReplyDelete